Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Dec 18 - Lac Bay

4395km
Lac Bay, Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands
2019 Gaastra Hybrid 5.6, 2015 Sailworks Retro 6.5, 1994 Hi-Tech SVF 8'4", Wind: around 20 knots.
Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to spend about 30 minutes chatting with Taty Frans about windsurfing equipment - mostly boards and sails and what would work well for his rental clients at The Frans Paradise. For guys like me, I've come to the conclusion that a freeride or freerace board better suites me if I want to maximize the FUN of windsurfing. I'm finding the iSonic boards, while fast, to have a very harsh ride and you basically have to be 'going for it' or they don't handle well. They weren't designed for laid back cruising and they don't qualify for that type of sailing. The same can be said for the NP, Gaastra, and Point-7 race sails that I have had the privilege of using. The Point-7 AC One and the Gaastra Phantom (freerace) sails are the most comfortable "race" sails for me. Again, as Taty said, the race sails, even for him, require that you be 'going for it' for them to handle properly. When he wants to have FUN sailing, the race gear is not his choice. There is a good chance he will opt for the Point-7 AC-Z sails for his rental fleet. I hope so 'cause I would really like to try these sails. Their description seems to harken back to the late 1990's Sailworks cammed sails that I loved. I want cammed sails for their stability but don't want the huge luff sleeve that makes them difficult to clear. Also, smaller cams mean lighter weight and easier rotation. I've finally accepted that an old duffer like me isn't going to be challenging anyone for speed, so I might as well have fun sailing. Giving up a knot or two on the sail design is no biggie any more for me.
In this same spirit, my choice of boards is changing. In 15 knot winds, the iSonics are fine because the chop is relatively small and speed is still fun. The last couple of days with winds approaching 20 knots and a corresponding significant increase in chop size, having my body jarred and hammered (sort of like driving a Corvette) is no longer fun. Today I hauled out my 1994(?) Hi-Tech SVF 8'4" Gorge bump and jump semi-sinker board. While the 5.6 sail was just not quite enough, the Sailworks Retro 6.5 worked nicely, once I remembered how to get the board planing (back foot in the strap first in order to keep the board from pointing into the wind). I mentioned this to Taty and he said speed boards tend to do the same thing. I guess because they are narrow. I took a 4 - 5 knot hit in speed but was rewarded with a smooth ride that I could do all day, assuming I was in shape. The bonus was that I could, and did, easily jibe this board - unlike my continuing jibing frustrations with the iSonics. Tomorrow, with similar conditions to today forecasted, I'll be using my Hi-Tech 8'9" glass board which should be just the ticket. Sure glad I kept those 25 year old, old school design boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment