Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Feb 23


Bonaire Lac Bay. Sailworks Retro 6.5, iSonic 90, MFC KP-RC 340, Wind: 15 G 18 knots
Wind returned and had another good day on the water. Had not sailed for FOUR days and it felt like an eternity :). Good conditions for gybe practice. I sail from about 14:30 to 16:30 and have 'my portion' of the bay to myself. About 16:30 the freestylers emerge from their afternoon hybernation and it starts getting crowded - making concentrating on the gybes more difficult.
Observation: I seem to sail with a heavy 'fin foot', three times I started to spin out (fully powered as I was rounding the sand bar with heavy rear foot pressure). I think it is time to up the fin size for these conditions to the 36 cm fin.
Finally had a semi-decent laydown gybe (last gybe of the session) and when I looked at GPSResults, it turns out to also be the best alpha of the day :). Nothing spectacular but maybe I'm finally getting the timing down. Left turn laydowns are much better than right turn. I think am not as aggressive on the right turns in laying down the sail and am waiting 1 or 2 seconds too long before initiating the sail flip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment