Sunday, January 12, 2020

Jan 12 - Lac Bay


4478km
Lac Bay, Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands
2015 Sailworks Retro 5.5, 2015 iSonic 90, MFC-KP-320 fin,   Wind: 17-19 knots
After all my talk about just riding the Gorge gear for the softer ride, etc. Today looked like a day with light winds (sub 15 knots( so I would be using either the iSonics or Magic Ride. I took the Hi-Techs off the car and opted just to use the iSonics and figured it would be the 107 but took the 90 along for the ride.

Did some quick grocery shopping enroute and arrived at the beach with winds of 18-19 knots. A new friend of mine (Mark) was on a 5.2 Simmer and an 85L board and was ripping. OK then, 5.5 and iSonic 90. By the time I was rigged, the wind had backed off to 12-13 knots. I hung around for quite a while, finally decided to call it a day. As I was derigging, the wind started to pick up. Re-Rigged the 5.5. First run out was marginal (probably 17 knots) but by the third run, I had all I could handle going over the chop. Funny thing is that the iSonic 90 didn't feel all that different from the Hi-Tech in terms of ride, other than the board is lighter and quicker. As a plus, made 2/3 of my jibes and would have made 3/3 but lost my grip on the boom on the second run. The iSonic 90 actually jibes very similar to the Hi-Tech :) .

The extra speed made the runs back to the launch beach a thrill - guess I'll be riding both types of boards for a while...


No comments:

Post a Comment