Monday, January 16, 2017

Jan 16


3057km
Bonaire Lac Bay. NP EVO 5 7.8, iSonic 107, Drake carbon slalom 38. Wind: 16G19 ENE
Up-and-down wind day due to rain squalls. Got in a short afternoon session that was reasonably consistent. Bert and Jeff (part-time Bonaire residents) arrived yesterday. Spent some time sailing with them. Jeff was on a Falcon, Bert on his Fanatic slalom, both on 7.5 sails. Happy to report that I beach started after both had simultaneously jibed in the launch area - was able to catch and pass both of them by the end of the run to the north.
Roo commented:
I see those competitive juices are flowing again Barton....I better watch my back this summer in the Gorge!

I commented:
I sometimes surprise myself at my level of covert competition :) . I pretend I'm just getting a measure of my current skill level but I have to admit there is also a satisfaction component to being faster as well :) . That said, I have nowhere close to the required testosterone level for you to have a any concerns, although I might try :) . 
Sort of on this topic, a friend took some videos of me jibing the other day. It is amazing the difference between your 'minds eye' view of what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing. My mast needs to go down by about 60 more degrees to qualify as a 'laydown' :). Back to the practice sessions...

Roo commented: 
This may help you with the laydown, from about 6 years ago. A 26.96 knot alpha day in the Hood River. https://dotsub.com/media/cf554882-9ce5-4a42-bdef-406dc09b813f/embed/eng

I look forward to some healthy competition this summer in the Gorge.

I commented:
Hmm, I tried your link and it took me to a page that looks like it should be a video but clicking on the play buttons (on image and also bottom of the page) would not start the playback. Any ideas?
edit: I also went directly to dotsub, searched on 'sandbar' and found the video but it still will not play. Is an account required? Will try that next...
edit: now have an account but still can not play the video. Is the video also on YouTube?

Roo commented:

I commented:
I can see it now. My problem was that I had Flash plugins disabled. When I enabled them for the dotsub domain, the video will play. 
Yes, this video will help. VERY NICE JIBE. Once again, you have set an aspirational goal for me. :)

Roo commented:
Glad it worked, that was one of my messier jibes but fast. They look much better now!

I commented:
You have the privilege of being critical if you chose... I would be thrilled to be consistently executing fast jibes like that :) . Thank you for the assistance!

No comments:

Post a Comment