Sunday, January 8, 2017

Jan 8


2958km
Bonaire Lac Bay. NP EVO6 7.0, iSonic 107, MFC Weed 34/45degree, Drake Carbon slalom 38. Wind: 15G17 dropping to 12G14 knots
Yesterday I mentioned 'attitude check'. Today I had more attitude, but of a different variety. Today's attitude was the type one gets when after rigging the wind dies... Got a few 'sort of' runs in but basically nothing noteworthy. 
Observation for the day: the MFC Weed 34/45 degree fin is marginal for the iSonic 107, felt like I was sailing sideways a lot of the time, and it wasn't just because of the light winds - I felt that way yesterday when I was overpowered. Will give it a shot on the iSonic 90 as I don't recall having this problem in Oregon when sailing on the Goya Bolt 90 FreeRace board. Put the Drake fin back on the iSonic 107 and all was OK again...
Roo commented:
You need an attitude adjustment mate. Paradise, warm breezes, turquiose waters, gorgeous island girls serving you pina coladas on the beach.....suck it up sweetheart!  Blown off the water here, 60 knot winds, liquid smoke, 22 degrees F and snow on the ground.
I commented:
Uhm, touched a nerve? :) . Except for the island girls and pina coladas you were pretty close - I sail from the low-rent "locals launch' area where we have to bring our own amenities...
I have noticed that my house in Corvallis is covered with that white stuff - guess I'll have to stay here a couple more months :).

OK, perspective adjustment complete, no more whining, at least for a while...  Did I mention that it has been raining a lot here (dropped the temps clear down to 75F at night) and the wind has not been as consistent as last year? (tongue out).
Roo commented:
Yeah the frozen nerves in my toes! Dying for a sail, looks as if ARooBar will switch on again later this month. You've sailed 5 days this year all ready and it's not consistant. Can't wait until you dunk your head in the chilly Columbia this spring and wake up!
I commented:
'consistent' was meant to be somewhat of a joke, although other local sailors have expressed this view. Last year January was rocken. The ten day forecast released today is pretty much zippo. 
I hope ARooBar kicks in for you, seriously.
I'm not particularly looking forward to the cold shock of the Columbia. I think it was some time in July last year before I thought it was getting acceptably comfortable. That is why I'm trying to focus more on jibes - less time freezing and hyperventilating. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment