Monday, January 22, 2018

Jan 22 - Lac Bay





4,204 km
Lac Bay, Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands

2014 Sailworks Retro 5.5, 2015 iSonic 107, MFC KPR360. Wind: 15 - 19 knots.
Rain squalls made for up/down wind. Fortunately, got a couple of good runs fully powered on the 5.5. Got a couple of jibes using the GetWindsurfing technique shown in Phil's videos on carving jibes. I have a good feeling that I will finally master jibing on the slalom boards using the technique shown. The main thing I noticed today was that even though I start the foot switch almost immediately after I initiate the jibe, I need to be starting it within about a second of when I lean forward and put the back foot on the leeward rail. I also need to remember to stay leaning forward and to lean the mast to the outside of the turn. All things that will come with practice. I think the turning point here is that staying low and being willing/able to stay powered using clew-first sailing will keep the speed up going through the jibe. Hopefully no more stall jibes.

The chest pains came back after the fast southerly run and relatively quick return to the mangroves. Hopefully the sore muscles will work themselves out this week since it is supposed to be good wind all week.


No comments:

Post a Comment