Monday, November 30, 2015

Nov 30


Bonaire Lac Bay. NP EVO 6 5.8, iSonic 90, MFC-KP 320, Wind: 23G26+
Today I violated a primary windsurfing rule - have a plan B. I was so sure, for some reason, that I knew what the conditions were going to be that I failed to bring any Plan B gear,  in this case 'gorge gear'. I am not (yet) competent to sail the iSonic 90 in completely overpowered circumstances when the water condition is .5 - .7 meter washboard chop. I was able to hold everything together on the outgoing run, while working hard to depower the sail, since it was a slight broad reach. But on the return run pointing into the wind I had a lot of difficulty keeping the board from being airborne off of each chop face. Eventually I stacked it and relearned how difficult it is to re-fly a race sail once the luff has filled with water. Drifted in to shore where I could apply more outhaul, fly the sail, and limp back to the launch site. I hung around for a while but it was clear the wind wasn't dropping so I packed it in.
Because I had other commitments during the day, I didn't have time to make the hour round-trip drive home to get the proper gear. This slammed the door shut on any chance of USA-West making a dent in USA-NE for November. Sorry Roo. Bummer. Don't know if Marc sailed today - didn't see him out while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment