Friday, December 2, 2016

Dec 2

Bonaire Lac Bay, NP Evo6 7.0, Isonic 107, MFC KP-360. Wind:16 G 19 E

Back on the water after a 3.5 month hiatus. Was a short session but was all this old body could handle since I was lazy during the break and didn't keep myself in shape. My muscles are already telling me that I will be paying for being a slacker for the next few days.

Tweaked the footstraps and mastbase locations per Roo's tuning guidance. Having been off the water here in Bonaire for so long I couldn't tell if it was just my lack of sailing that made the ride 'twitchier' of if the tuning helped the speed and the adrenaline simultaneously.

After learning last summer about Roo's tip for clearing/waterstarting race sails after the luff fills with water, I decided to not mess around with the Retro sails and to start with the Pryde race sails. Fortunately, I didn't have to utilize Roo's tip today :) .


Roo commented:
Barton I wondered when you were going to surface again? Glad you're back on the water rather than under it. Your endurance will come back soon enough, 20 min sessions at a time to maximize your performance. Don't forget to drive it off the wind, none of this BAF stuff!

My Response:
Hi Roo. I've been on Bonaire since Nov 11 and yesterday was the first 'sailable' wind for me. Most days the gusts were less than 10 knots... It has been very rainy and calm here, not what I remember to be a typical November. On the plus side, it appears we may be starting back into a more normal wind pattern.
I understand about driving it off the wind but yesterday was really muddy on the mangrove side - couldn't see the bottom so wasn't ready to risk a speed run and end it with a catapult launch. I'll save that for a future day :) . 10 minute sessions were about all this old body could handle yesterday.
Oh, Claudia and I did log 63 dives each in Indonesia, and that was with her being sick the last two weeks of the five week trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment