Saturday, February 11, 2017

Feb 11


3425km
Bonaire Lac Bay. NP EVO6 7.0, iSonic 107, Drake carbon slalom 38. Wind: 15G19 ENE
Weird wind today. Rain squall came through half way through my session time - messed up the wind for too long...
Little-By-Little: on the positive side, my alpha speed is slowly approaching the speeds I recorded last year in stronger winds on my Gorge Gear, so maybe I'm starting to get used to the slalom/race equipment.
Windxtasy commented:
I applaud your regular dedicated practice. You will achieve your goals with that attitude.
I commented:
Thanks Anita! I have found that I have to do regular practice sessions limited to a couple of hours a day. I found the slalom/race gear to be much more taxing on this 69 year old body than the 'cruising Gorge Gear' and my body just can't handle what it did 30 years ago. I suppose I could do the 'gym thing' to really get in shape but, hey, I'm lazy and retired. Laughing
Roo commented:
Keep at it Barton, you're becoming a machine. Muscle memory is the key to nailing jibes, once your body gets used to doing good ones it gets easier to replicate. Getting your feet sorted is critical, try and keep them out on the rail after the switch so the board keeps turning and creating lift so the speed stays up.
I commented:
Thanks Roo, the encouragement helps! 
I have been attempting to use the tip that Eddy Patricelli gave me which is:
If I were to put on my instructor cap, I'd recommend switching your feet sooner in the jibes. Pivot and step sooner -- staying down. It's tough to do, largely because the sensation of carving feels so good you don't want to disrupt it. But my $.02 on planing out of jibes consistently, with lightening fast, easy, magical, non-taxing sail flips, requires the foot switch to come early. Initiate the carve, get low, and as you approach dead downwind, pivot and step staying low.

For the pivot and step, it helps me to pretend as if I'm taking my front foot's heel and stepping on my back foot's big toe. For a split second, it resembles a ballet plie. Doing so ensures your weight stays on the carving rail as your feet switch. 

Done well, the jibe ends on a broad reach on the new tack and - this is important - at full speed. It's that full speed part that makes the sail flips easy. You're running with the wind, often matching or exceeding its speed. The sail rotates easily in this dynamic. No more awkward sail flips that require recovering and muscling that depletes energy. You grab it, drop down -- hanging down on the boom as the battens rotate, and shazam! You move for the straps with energy to spare and yeah, put into your next PR!

No comments:

Post a Comment