Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Feb 7


3349km
Bonaire Lac Bay. NP EVO6 7.0, iSonic 107, Drake carbon slalom 38, iSonic 90, MFC-KP 34 and 36. Wind: 17G20, 19G22 knots.
Today the wind was a little weird. When I arrived it was 17G20 so rigged the 7.0 and was looking forward to using the iSonic 90 as a change of pace since I've been on the iSonic 107 for the last 2-3 weeks. Got a good run across and said 'H*ll with the low tide' and did a mangrove run, which worked except for the weeds on the fin and then made one southerly run... but then the wind started to die off to about 15 knots or less so I limped back to the launch area. After a rain squall passed to the north, I switched to the 107. Had some good runs on it then the wind picked back up to the 19G22 range. Switched back to the iSonic 90 but I struggled in the gusts because the fin (34 cm as recommended for a 7.0 on the 90L board) was breaking loose in the chop. Came back in, plugged the 36 cm fin in and had a few good runs before I had to call it a day. Guess I must sail extra heavy on the fin...
Observations: to no one's surprise, the NP EVO6 7.0 was easier to attempt to lay down in the jibes and the iSonic 90 could carve tighter turns than the 107. Unfortunately, with the low tide and the mangrove area clogged up with freestylers, getting a good jibe run over there without cutting off, crashing into, or otherwise annoying the freestylers made jibing practice there a little dicey. On the southerly runs I admit to being, dare I say it, 'lazy' and coasting into the jibes as a way to relax as the iSonic 90 was definitely twitchier than the 107 and required more concentration to keep it in control, especially with the 34 cm fin.
Forecast for tomorrow looks as good as or better than today. Will attempt an earlier launch time so I can get a more robust session - the house construction can wait Laughing.


No comments:

Post a Comment