Saturday, July 1, 2017

July 1 - Floras Lake



3653km
Langlois, OR, USA - Floras Lake
Sailworks Retro 7.5, Goya Bolt 115, MFC KPR-42. Wind: 12G20

Personal Training Camp Day 3. Goal for today was to focus on learning laydown jibes. 
Success score for today was 'zip' .  Wind was just on the 'too light' side for most of today. Got about 30 minutes around 2 PM and then another sub-hour session around 5 PM. I am unfortunately learning that I need around an average of 15 knots of wind and/or gusts to 20 knots without a lot of holes - only had a few minutes of this today. So, I either need to lose 20 lbs, get bigger equipment (or both), or become a kiter when the winds are light. I came really close today to signing up for a kiting lesson or two.
This has been a somewhat frustrating trip since the wind forecast before I left was 20-25 knot average winds the whole trip. The next two days look decent but will probably head back to Corvallis a day or two early based on the forecast (Roo, I don't want to hear how it was averaging 22G30+ all day today at the Waterfront Park). I may have to break down and make a Gorge run soon (after July 10 when the "Hilton" goes back to Mercedes-Benz to get the AirCo fixed).
Roo commented:
A bit of everything...crazy chop, voodoo gusts, crowds, racers, ducks!
Gorge is closed to you Barton, carparks are full, water is crowded and no wind left in the blowhard machine. Stick to Floras Lake and take up kiting!Kiss

I commented:
Roo, touched a nerve? Surprised
Relax, Talked with Claudia this evening. Since I'm too lazy to lose any weight, the next option was more equipment, which has been approved Smile. A Bolt 135L light wind board might be coming home with me the near future. My motto is "at my age, if you can't solve an issue with skill, throw equipment at it" Laughing.
Can I now come to the Gorge, at least on a probationary basis?

Roo commented:
Gorge is overrun with Canadians, you will have to take a number and wait in line before you get a spot. Surprised the Hilton on wheels can carry any more equipment!

I commented:
(rambling early morning thoughts)...

Regarding equipment in the Hilton, it is basically full. If I get a Bolt 135 I'll probably jettison the JP Magic Ride 104 to make room. The 104 doesn't really make sense now given the type of sailing I have morphed into. I'll have to do a test before I purchase the 135 but since it is only 1 cm longer, it should fit in the space vacated by the 104.

If the plan works as expected, I should finally be covered for the wind conditions I'm comfortable sailing. The Bolts should handle mid-teens and above and the JP Freestyle Wave 77 will be my hi-twenties to low-thirties chop/swell board.

My kiting comment was driven mostly by frustration from sitting on the beach (or in the RV) watching a dozen kiters frolic around in sub-15 knot winds while I (and the few other windsurfers here) are stuck on shore. The only people 'windsurfing' were the first-timers out on huge boards and tiny sails. It is also obvious (at the Gorge and here) that kiters have a definite low-wind advantage. Maybe windsurfing foils will change the kiter to windsurfer ratio, but I doubt it. On any given day windsurfers are outnumbered 3:1 to 10:1, even when the wind is strong enough to windsurf. What is causing this lopsided ratio, what am I missing, if anything?

Gorge v Floras thoughts:
Roo, your comments about Gorge sailing and shore conditions are exactly why you would not be elected to the Gorge Tourism Commission :) and highlights what makes Floras attractive for me.
  • crowds: Floras congestion is self-limiting by its physical remoteness and parking. As long as you have a camping (RV or tent) site, you are golden, otherwise it becomes a pain. Given that probably 75% of the people at the park are kiters, and they launch from a different part of the lake, on-the-water congestion is easily avoided.
  • demographics: I've been somewhat surprised by the number of ex-Gorge windsurfers I've met here, and they are mostly 'declining seniors' (like me) that are tired of the 'gorge hassle' of crowds, voodoo gusty winds, crazy chop, parking/rigging/driving-to-lodging, etc. After I pull in and 'set up', which takes about five minutes, I don't leave the park for the duration of the trip. At $22/night for an RV slot (water, electricity, free Wi-Fi) and no driving when exhausted, the conditions are enticing for me. I've got my own little 'all inclusive' resort conveniently located a minute or two walking distance from the launch site, which happens to have a wind protected, shaded area to store the gear during the day. Some, braver or stupider than I, actually leave their gear rigged up for the days they are here. I'm willing to spend the extra few minutes rigging/de-rigging to save and secure my stuff.
  • Sailing condition: definitely not 'Roo attractive'. No significant adrenaline rush to be had other than being on the water. The reaches are short, which is a plus for me as it forces me to practice jibing. Self-rescue is much easier than the Gorge. Fortunately, I have yet to be put in that position here (did once at the Gorge), but it is always lurking in the back of my mind...


No comments:

Post a Comment