Tuesday, July 4, 2017

July 4 - Floras Lake


3681km
Langlois, OR, USA - Floras Lake
Sailworks Retro 7.5, Goya Bolt 115, MFCR-42, Wind: 12G22 knots
Had a nice, quick session before heading back to Corvallis. Launched about 11:15 AM. Getting better on starboard jibes but port jibes, not so much... even for this short session had a few muscle complaints...

The port jibe issues: fairly sure I know my issues here. 1) failure to stay forward and aggressive in the jibe with a tendency to lean back as I flip the sail causing the board to stall and for me to fall backwards. 2) When I do stay aggressive, I'm flipping the sail much later than on starboard tack, again causing the board to stall (point into the wind).
Aside: to some new friends I met here this week, I'm now 'Yellow Helmet Guy' or Stig (from the BBC Top Gear) Laughing. (Jim and Beth McCain from Salem, Chip Martin from Bend - also has a house in Corvallis)

Roo commented:
Celebrating Independence day, July 4th. and windy....yeehaa! Nothing more patriotic that a great windsurfing session to celebrate America's birthday. I did my best to make speedsailing great again! Another morning fang before the crowds arrived to watch the fireworks. 80 degrees F, 20 knots of wind and blue skies...couldn't want anything more. Nautical mile had a jibe in it so not too shabby for the Gorge.

Barton you need a white helmet to be the Stig.

I commented:
I didn't anoint myself with the name, it was some kid on the beach :).

Roo commented:
Hopefully you drive like him, otherwise we'll have to rename you. Gorge looks good for wind the rest of the week.

I commented:
I'm open to being renamed Laughing. It was mostly a passing comment based on being the only one on the water with a helmet with face guard which from a distance may have looked like Stig's.
I'm not in your league but had fun in a series of Nissan 240Z, 280Z, 300Z, 300ZX Twin Turbo, and Porsche 928S Euro version with stick - starting in 1971 with contiguous (and sometimes overlapping) ownership to today (928S is in the Corvallis garage).  That said, I drive the speed limit now Embarassed
Claudia has a couple of CT scans Thursday morning, will evaluate the Gorge after that...

No comments:

Post a Comment